I must tell you all that I love today!! For two years in a row, we've been lucky enough (some of you may think not so lucky) to have had Mama Robins nesting in a bush right next to our front door. Sometimes they nest, lay eggs, and then they're gone before we even know it. Other years, the babies have been abandoned and we've ended up caring for them. Sometimes it works out and other times...not so much. But without going into immense detail...today's GORGEOUS Inspired By stamp set holds a very special place in my heart. I was so inspired to create with this beautiful set that I set down and using my fabulous watercolor paper, distress inks and pearlized water created this:
Now I know that Robin's are not blue but their eggs are so I was inspired to pull in a bit of blue...even on the bird ;) Here's how I painted the bird.
I prep my watercolor paper by wiping it lightly with a dryer sheet. This will help ward off any static cling that may occur when using my black embossing powder. If you've ever used black embossing powder you know how it always sticks in places you don't want it to. I then stamped the image using Black Colorbox ink onto very high quality water color paper. I get mine in spiral bound books in the Fine Art section of Michael's or at AC Moore. I coated my stamped image in black embossing powder and heat set it. It comes out looking like this:
The embossed image is really wonderful for painting as the raised areas hold the paint in which is great as it keeps it from spreading over the lines and edges.
Now it's painting time!! I pulled out my favorite Distress Inks and decided on the colors that I needed:
I then opened each one and dabbed it three or four times on the brown craft sheet that you see underneath:
My pearlized water is made by adding a few small scoops (I use the end of a straw that I cut open) of Perfect Pearls Pigment Powder mixed in a spray bottle with water. It looks like this:
I sprayed each color twice with a close range spray. It beads up and helps intensify the color as Distress Inks were meant to play and blend so well with water. The Pearl Powder adds the most LOVELY shimmer and shine!!
Now I take a small paintbrush and start picking up color and slowly and carefully start adding it to the areas of my inked and embossed image.
I started with the blues. You see how beautifully the color pools up in the embossed areas keeping it trapped from spilling over? Just awesome. I eventually end up blending the colors together on my craft sheet. Oh and the most marvelous thing about the craft sheet is that all that paint cleans up with literally one swipe with a baby wipe! It's fantastic!
I then started adding the browns in.
My designer papers are all from Authentique. I used corrugated cardboard to matte them all onto and used SU! Night of Navy as my card base.
I used one of the beautiful sentiments that comes with this set 'You Can Fly' which I stamped and then trimmed apart and matted and housed them under the oval.
I kept the interior relatively simple, using another sentiment, inking the birdhouse in Hero Hues Latte Chalk ink. I added one of the STUNNING new Photo Corner Die-namics as an unexpected and fun touch!
- You can attend the New Release Party on March 6th from 8-10 PM EST HERE in the MFT forum, where you can enjoy fun, games, and PRIZES!
- The MFT release, including all new stamp sets and Die-namics, is on March 6th at 10 PM EST. You'll find all the newest products HERE at release time.
- The guest designer contest is ON! Check out the forum for details on how YOU can win $200 in stamp sets and Die-namics, and play along with the MFT Design Team for a month.
- If you'd like to see all the teasers for today, please click on over to the MFT Blog NOW.
Be sure to leave comments as you go for the chance to win one of 2,
$10 gift certificates given away daily. The winners will be posted
on March 6th just before the release party, on the MFT blog.
- If you'd like to see all the teasers for today, please click on over to the MFT Blog NOW. Be sure to leave comments as you go for the chance to win one of 2, $10 gift certificates given away daily. The winners will be posted on March 6th just before the release party, on the MFT blog.Fabulous MFT Die-namics used in today's creation: