Sunday, September 6, 2009

My Submissions - Part One

I hope that everyone is having a great weekend!!! Despite the beautiful weather here in MA I'm mostly stuck inside as my youngest baby is sick. Cold, allergies, something...he's all kinds of bummed out. So he just wanted to lay on me or be on me all day. Poor buddy. So while I couldn't really create today I do have something to share!!

I wanted to share with you the entries that I submitted to QKD. I had placed an order for a few QKD stamps but they hadn't arrived yet and I was anxious so I went ahead and created samples using what I already owned. Once my stamps arrived I then created with my new stamps and sent that sample in as well.

I envisioned my first submission to be on the darker side. I find creating feminine, colorful, whimsical, cards easier to create than a dark, edgy and masculine card. So I try to challenge myself . As my first thought to a project is always "beautiful, warm and fuzzy"... I instantly start thinking the opposite. I've even started shopping that way. Darker papers, embellishments and inks. And I'm finding that it's not SO difficult anymore. I still have to work on it but these types of cards are growing on me. So I figured why not use this challenge in applying to an amazing Design Team to really push myself?

I hope you enjoy! Thanks for reading =)

Here's what I came up with:

Envelope Size: 6 ½ x 4 ¾

Card Base: 6 ¼ x 4 ½: SU! Creamy Caramel

Layer 1: 6 x 4 ¼: Junkitz Designer Paper – Extreme Boy Stars Paper – Theresa Collins Collection

· Edges distressed using Tim Holtz Paper Distresser

Layer 2: 4 x 2 ½: SU! Real Red

· Edges distressed using Tim Holtz Paper Distresser

· 3 ¾ x 2 ¼ Vintage (1923) MAH JOHGG score paper from an antique score pad I purchased at an antique store this summer. This was not distressed as the paper is too fragile.

· YOU ROCK sentiment: Misc AC Moore house brand $1 bin.

· Inked in Archival Brilliance Pearlescent Poppy

· Judi Kins clear embossing powder and heat set

· Paper Technique: Pre-folding paper measured 4 x 1 1/2 – Junkitz brand DP – Romance Collectionz – romance toile, fan folded and stitched twice. Once with a straight stitch, once with a zig zag stitch.

Layer 3: 3 ½ x 3: matte is SU! Paper in Basic Black

· Basic Black paper is edge distressed

· Misc brand tan cardstock – 3 ¼ x 2 1/2 (I’ve had it for years!) also distressed around the edges.

· Guitar Image from the same $1 bin stamp set from ACM stamped directly onto the tan paper with SU! Basic Black ink.

· Guitar Image stamped again with Brilliance Pearlescent Poppy Ink and heat embossed.

· Trimmed guitar out and used Zots brand 3-D clear adhesive dots for added dimension.

· Wings are from SU!’s “Wing It” set. Stamped in Ink It Up brand silver pigment ink and heat embossed.

· Wings were trimmed out and colored with R29 Copic marker in Lipstick Red.

· Wings adhered under guitar with SU! Brand small glue dots.

· Star in corner is also from the same $1 set from ACM. Inked in SU! Basic Black and rubbed over with a sanding block for and extra distressed look. Then outlined in my ‘Pilot’ brand extra fine point silver marker.

· Both brown stripe and black gingham ribbons are from Michael’s house brand. Sewn together with a zig zag stitch using red contrasting thread. Snipped at each ends using pinking shears and tied in a knot on the right hand side for that finishing touch.

No comments: