Monday, August 23, 2010

Altered Tin - Smeared Ink Monday!!!

Greetings Everyone!!!

With the school year coming up VERY rapidly, and my eldest heading to Kindergarten, I am making a seriously concerted effort to get my house, schedule and life organized!  I know, easier said than done but I'm trying one little bit at a time.

Today's bit is an altered Peet's Coffee Sampler tin that I received from my Aunt at Christmas last year.  It's the perfect tin for holding all incoming mail!! 

I'm going to find a similar size tin to compliment this one for outgoing mail, but that's for another day.

I started by rummaging through my scrap drawer pulling out tones of cream, red, grey, yellow, and amber.  I covered my tin, wrapping DP all around and gluing it with a super adhesive glue.  It's similar to hot glue only it's not hot but dries equally fast and holds really well.  Sometimes altering things can be tricky if you don't have good adheive.  As you can see, I sanded it a bit where the edges of the paper would stick down (that's usually where they start to peel off) to make sure the glue and paper had a good strong hold.

I did the same technique for the skinny black SU! ribbon around the top of the tin where the cover used to sit. 

Today I used 3 different SI sets to show you the immense versatility of them!  Together I combined Carnies, Lil' Grumpies, and Elementals.

I stamped my Fire Elemental with Momento Ink in Staz On and colored her with my Copics.  I trimmed her out and added Crystal Glaze on the fire and her lips and set her aside to dry.

I then used the sentiment 'Step Right Up' from the Carnies Set (stamped in Tim Holtz Wild Honey Ink) and 'Don't Forget' (stamped in Black Ink) from the Lil' Grumpies set.

I punched both sentiments out with my SU! 1 1/4" circle punch and then chose coordinating DP scraps to back them with my 1 1/2" SU! circle punch.  The sentiment is attached with 3-D foam adhesive and the 1 1/2" circles are attached to the tin with the same glue as above.

I then added some pieces of interest - two sugary looking flowers to the upper left hand corner, a panel of layered and sewn DP scraps under the sentiment dots, a yellow fabric zipper from my Great Grandmother's sewing basket. 

My main image was finally dry and able to add.  I cut a large piece of foam adhesive and attached it to the back and added it to my altered tin.

I then photographed it both in my studio AND in it's new home on my kitchen counter in the "office" nook.

I hope you have enjoyed and been inspired!!!

XOXO
Meredith

6 comments:

Alex said...

LOVE it! The sipper, WOW girl, that is a FABULOUS touch! With what you used it has a country kitchen gone goth feel to it, LOL!

Fabulous!

ladybrayton71 said...

This is so amazing! I'm glad you posted the type of glue you use. I've been looking for a good adhesive for altering items!

tori said...

gorgeous! I love it. The colors are warm and fantastic!

Jessica Griffin said...

I LOVE your box!! It's gorgeous!!

Alison said...

This is so cool! I love all of your little details. I'll need to see if I can find that glue, the glue I've tried doesn't stick for very long. You did an awesome job!

Kathi said...

It's fabulous. I love all the details and especially love that it's useful too.