Friday, October 30, 2009

Creating for Creatings Sake!

I just felt like busting my own challenge out this week for myself!!! I was feeling festive and creative so here's what I came up with!!

I pulled out these very festive and simple colors in solid SU! and PTI cardstock.
I crumpled up was I knew was going to be my first layer after the card base. I scrunched it up really well and then coated it in Versamark Dazzle and heat set it. It's kind of like homemade designer paper. It takes on a whole new effect and adds a LOT of dimension.

And then I realized that I had few 'boyish' papers that I had just purchased that had almost those exact colors in it!! (I've been trying to amass a stash of really good boy papers and embellis...they can be hard to find!!) Anyway, I then decided that I wanted to use an 'earthy' image based on the color scheme. So I went right for my FAVORITE "shroomies" stamp. Super cute, super swirly, and super fun to work with. I inked them up in chocolate and olive inks - independently of each other obviously, washing them in between and then heat setting them. I did a bit of coloring and shading with my Copics. And then I wanted to give them just a little blinggidy so I used my vintage, glass glitter on the mushroom spots.
I edge distressed each layer and then settled them in. I then added the eclectic button trio to the top left hand side of the card. I then sat back and looked at it. I liked it...




but...





but....
(check email)





but.....
(go get more seltzer)






but............................
(forgot to grab some gum - back downstairs)






but.................................
(this is my thinking process)
Finally, lightening strikes and I figure out what the card was missing. I cut the word 'DIRTY' out of the same paper you see in the picture (in between the green and orange - I'm blanking on the brand) and then look for a matte for the word. While thinking about the matte that I wanted to use, I ran the skinny end of my Versamark pen over the letters in the word 'DIRTY' and heat embossed them just so they'd have a bit more presence. I then looked around and grabbed a piece of leftover fabric that matched again...perfectly!! So instead of a traditional matte, I used fabric and then pulled out the edges to create the messy, fraying effect.

Because I just CANNOT leave well enough alone...I popped my green thread into my sewing machine and framed the word in a zig zag stitch.

Lastly - inside I added the sentiment DIGGING using the matching papers. I rarely do anything coordinating on the inside of the card but this card was just calling for it! =)
I hope you enjoy my creation!!


XOXO-




1 comment: