Saturday, October 31, 2009

Robyn's Fetish - Sketch Challenge!!

Welcome, Welcome to another FANTABULOUS Challenge with Robyn's Fetish!!!

Today's challenge is a SKETCH challenge!! SO FUN! I love having a jumping off point when I begin a project. It's just SO helpful!!

Here's today's sketch!!

The other challenge was that we can use ANY RF image that we'd like but we MUST only use papers and cardstock from our scrap bins.

The image that I chose came from the BCA set that's on sale now. It's a FANTASTIC set of images and it supports a wonderful cause.

Believe it or not, I do keep 12x12 sheets of designer paper in my scrap bins. When I set to create something I pull lots of options out of my paper holders. When I'm done, I tend to keep whatever is left together as it's already coordinating so when I need another project I can go to my scrap bin, start there and see if I can use up pieces from another project before pulling all new stuff out. It's super helpful in using my scraps, but also explains why some 12x12 ends up in there!

Right, so I had my Basic Grey 12x12 paper. I then pulled out a sheet of Mah Jongg score paper from an antique pad from the 30's that I picked up at a vintage store in Gorham, Maine this summer.

Next came a rectangle of PTI chocolate paper...which I crumpled up, flattened out, covered in Versamark, Dazzling Diamond ink, poured copious amounts of thick embossing powder on and heat set.
The flowery paper beneath that was buried at the bottom of my scrap drawer...yes I have a drawer, a box and a bin!! I trimmed it down and started putting these pieces together!! I was THRILLED that I had a sizable slice of my Hambly, screen printed acetate "paper" as it coordinated perfectly and gave great dimension to the sketch.

I grabbed a length of SU! Old Olive grosgrain ribbon off of my ribbon ring and stitched it to the left hand side of the design and then used another bit of SU! Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon to make my bestie friend (in real life!) Joanne's signature "buttony bow". If you'd like to learn she did an AWESOME tutorial here!! I've used it a number of times now (thanks Jo!!) and it always comes out great!!
Now that I had my main pieces I started coloring this gorgeous and voluptuous dress. I had something 'vintage' in mind but didn't want to anything fussy as the rest of the design is already busy. So I simply stayed with pink...highlighting in areas where I thought the dress would flow nicely. I colored the lining of the dress with my gold paint pen - as well made, vintage dresses ALWAYS had fabulous linings. (it's really what saves a dress and makes it worth keeping for a long time!) I trimmed the v-neck in what I could imagine would be green, sparkly glass beads or crystals. (if the dress were real) After I colored it I realized it still needed....something. The heart is a rub on from an SU! set and then definitely needed a BIT more (with me...more is always better!!!) so from inspiration from our last challenge I hand stitched around the heart in the closest green I had to match the v-neck. I then added a tiny rhinestone as the last decorative touch and voila!!!
I then grabbed a piece of scrap that quietly coordinated to go under the dress image on the right side - it was a 12x12 piece that had dress patterns on it!! How tre-perfect!! To complete the dress image I used my SU! photo corner punch to add coordinating photo corners around the dress. And lastly, I added 3 jumbo green brads with white polka dots on the right hand side to complete the piece. I remember looking at the sketch and am I going to tackle this one....and actually I had THE best time!!! SUCH a great time!!

Hope you play along!!!!

Thanks for visiting!!!